Will join or die is the message on this broken serpent or snake wax seal necklace.
It's a call for unity, whether romantically or historically.
This wax seal necklace is calling for romantic unity, with a snake broken in two, because someone is not complete without his or her other half.
Historically we know it when it became a symbol of colonial freedom during the American Revolutionary War when the snake was cut into 8 segments to represent the disunited state of the eight American colonies, making a point about the importance of colonial unity.
- description -
A broken serpent or snake under the French words SE REJOINAE OU MOURIR
which translate WILL JOIN OR DIE or meet or die.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the snake, or serpent, is symbolic of wisdom and a broken snake represents a strong desire for unity.
Hand cast from an 19th century French multiple wax seal set, shown in the photo but not available for purchase.
- approximate measurement - 3/4" (19mm)
- shown with a 1937 US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!