Will join or die is the message on this broken snake wax seal necklace. A broken serpent or snake with the French sentiment SE REJOINAE OU MOURIR
which translate WILL JOIN OR DIE or meet or die.
Meaningful wax seal jewelry.
Historically we know it when it became a symbol of colonial freedom during the American Revolutionary War when the snake was cut into 8 segments to represent the disunited state of the eight American colonies, making a point about the importance of colonial unity.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the snake, or serpent, is symbolic of wisdom and a broken snake represents a strong desire for unity. It's a call for unity, whether romantically or historically, with a snake broken in two, because someone is not complete without his or her other half.
- approximate measurement - 3/4" (19mm)
- shown with a 1937 US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from an 19th century French multiple wax seal set.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!