A lovely bronze skull wax seal necklace charm with the Latin sentiment ES FVI SVM ERIS which translates AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” x just under 5/8" (16mm x 15mm)
- wax seal charm metal - bronze
- jump ring metal - sterling silver
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- sterling silver chains sold separately here where you can select shiny or oxidized
- I do recommend the polish pad with any of the bronze jewelry as the color does turn quickly and can be easily restored with the polish pad.
Impressed from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the photo but not available for purchase.
*of historical note - it's written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
See more skull wax seal necklaces, including the one shown in sterling silver in the photos.
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.