Ode to Scotland, a small but surly Scottish thistle wax seal necklace pendant surrounded by the sentiment DINNA FORGET which translates FORGET ME NOT. Lovely sterling silver Scottish wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the Scottish thistle is symbolic of defiance, surliness and austerity.
It is the royal badge of Scotland.
It is said that the thistle represents the Stuarts’ claim to the Scottish throne and a reminder that the Stuarts should not be forgotten ... DINNA FORGET.
- approximate measurement - 1/2" (12mm x 13mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- the words are small and a little challenging to read on the wax seal charm
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from an antique Victorian trinket rotating wheel wax seal, which dates back to 1837 - 1901.
Find more Scottish thistle wax seal jewelry here.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!
*DINNA FORGET... the legendary prickly tale of the Scottish thistle: One dark night, in the middle ages when the Scots and Norsemen were at war, the Norsemen came ashore planning a surprise attack on the sleeping Scottish clansmen. The Norsemen removed their boots and crept quietly on bare feet until a sharp cry of pain shattered the quiet night. Apparently one of the Norsemen had stepped on the Scottish thistle, alerting the Scots to the surprise attack. They sprang into action and drove the invaders from their shores and the thistle was credited with saving the day ... the pretty little weed becoming the national flower and emblem of Scotland.