Wear, or give, a beacon of hope with this glowing lantern wax seal necklace with the sentiment BRIGHTER HOURS WILL COME ... a thoughtful and optimistic message of hope. Inspirational wax seal jewelry and a lovely gift for the special nurse in your life.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a lantern or beacon is symbolic of one who is watchful, who gave the signal in time of danger. A candle represents light, life and spirituality.
Florence Nightingale was well known as “the lady with the lamp” as she made her rounds helping wounded soldiers at night during the Crimean War in 1853 - 1856.
It’s believed that her favorite sentiment was BRIGHTER HOURS WILL COME as these words gave her hope in challenging times and so on her signet ring she had engraved the image of a nurse’s lamp surrounded by the sentiment BRIGHTER HOURS WILL COME
- approximate measurement - just over 5/8" x 5/8" (18mm x 16mm)
- the sentiment, faint on the original seal, is a bit challenging to read on the charm
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from an early Victorian era wax seal fob (1837 - 1901).
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Florence Nightingale (1820 - 1910) nurse extraordinaire, and one so dedicated to her profession that she greatly improved the standards of nursing.
Immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in his 1857 poem “Santa Filomena”
- in part:
Lo! in that house of misery
A lady with a lamp I see
Pass through the glimmering of gloom
And flit from room to room.
Impressed with history!