A sweet tiny textured star fossil necklace charm … a crinoid star fossil ... endlessly interesting historic fossil jewelry.
They’re also called sea lily fossils and date back up to 201 million years ago, perhaps even earlier and believe it or not they are very common fossils if you look in the right places. They were sea animals, like sea stars and sea urchins. You’ve probably seen them in Victorian imagery - 5th photo.
We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle ... Marilyn Monroe
- approximate measurement - 3/8“ (10mm) including loop x 1/4” (7mm) - did I mention it's really tiny?
- the little star fossil is beautifully textured on both sides
- metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- this is for the charm only, necklace chain shown sold separately here.
- photographed with a US dime and inch ruler for scale
I’ve sand cast the tiny crinoid star fossils, so each is a bit different, in sterling silver and then had them lost wax cast in sterling silver before finishing them up in my own little studio ... hand crafted jewelry when how it's made matters.
History made wearable!
©2023 suegray jewelry