A meaningful skull wax seal necklace with Latin sentiment OMNIA VANITAS which translate ALL IS VANITY. The word VANITAS is Latin and means emptiness, worthlessness and unreality. It's describing the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of all things.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - 3/4" by 5/8" (20mm x 18mm)
- please note the S in VANITAS is very faint and incomplete because it is very thin and not engraved deeply enough on the original glass seal to get a good impression
- shown with a US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
- if you prefer an antiqued (oxidized) chain please note at checkout
Impressed from a Georgian era (1714 - 1830) multiple glass wax seal set displayed in a lovely red leather case.
Find more skull wax seal necklace charms shown in the last photos here.
Impressed with history!