A lovely skull wax seal necklace with the Latin sentiment ES FVI SVM ERIS which translates YOU ARE, I WAS, YOU WILL BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” (15mm x 16mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with a US dime and a one inch ruler for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here. And if you'd prefer an oxidized chain (antiqued) to the shiny chain shown, simply make this request at checkout in the "add a note to your order" box.
Impressed from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the photo but not available for purchase.
*of historical note - it's written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Find the skull wax seal necklace charms shown in the last photos here.
Find the gold skull wax seal necklace here.
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.