Bringing back the past with a sterling silver skull ring, reminiscent of historic mourning rings, often called a death's head mourning ring, a pumpkin head skull ring, a memento mori ring.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skull is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori - remember you must die, the hour will not be known.
Hand carved from a chunk of wax and cast in sterling silver.
- approximate ring band width - 6/32" (5mm tall)
- ring metal - solid sterling silver, oxidized to show detail
- select US ring size from dropdown box
- this ring is available in US ring sizes 5 - 11
- if your preferred ring size shows sold out please select the last option "made to order" and let me know your ring size 5 - 11 and I will make it for you
- made to order rings can take up to 4 - 5 weeks before shipping
A little history ... mourning rings gained popularity in the 16th century as they became more accessible. The rings, with a stylized skull on the outer band, were usually inscribed to the interior with the deceased name or initials, the death date, sometimes the age at death and occasionally a sentiment. It was customarily given to family, friends, and persons of note at funerals, a sentimental keepsake to comfort and console them in their loss and to remind them that death is inevitable.
The rings were usually paid for and bequeathed by the deceased, as testators would have outlined recipients and left funds in their wills to provide the rings with inscriptions for their loved ones to wear.
Find the matching memento mori skull bangle bracelets here.
The antique boxes in the photos are for display and are not included with the ring.
Impressed with history!
©2020 suegray jewelry