This small memento mori skull and bones wax seal necklace is sure to remind you that we are mere mortals and life is fleeting so live fully today. Meaningful wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull and crossbones symbolize mortality.
The Latin motto MEMENTO MORI roughly translates REMEMBER THAT YOU MUST DIE and is a grim reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - just over 1/2" (15mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with a US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from a replica skull signet ring. I've been holding onto this one for a really long time, unsure about using the signet ring to create a necklace since it's based on an amazing antique signet ring (around 1619) found in a huge excavation project in Virginia, of the first English settlers, and now part of a museum collection. Otherwise, my entire jewelry collection is created with actual historic antique seals so therein lies my conundrum.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Find more skull wax seal jewelry as shown in the last photos.
Impressed with history!