ship sailing away wax seal necklace - the further apart the tighter th
A lovely wax seal necklace depicting a three masted ship under full sail with a little bird flying away with a running line, in a love knot, below the French sentiment LE PLUS LOIN LE PLUS SERRE which translates THE FURTHER APART THE TIGHTER THE BOND or THE FARTHER WE FLY, THE FASTER WE TYE.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder! Sentimental wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
The ship sailing toward the horizon could represent physical distance from a loved one or the passage of a soul towards the afterlife. Either way the love knot represents eternity and is symbolic of a love forever unbroken despite any figurative distance.
- approximate measurement - 5/8" x almost 3/4" (17mm x 18mm)
- shown next to an old US dime for scale
- the French words are tiny and challenging to read
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from a Victorian (1840) wax seal that's part of a romantic handcrafted turned ivory stacking tower of glass intaglio seals. The last photos depict the wax seal set and wax seal necklace charms made from the wax seals in the set.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
More ship wax seal jewelry is available here.
The sea serpent charm holder is available here.
Impressed with history!