The sentinel sleeps not... a one of a kind armorial ship and mermaid wax seal necklace pendant. What a treasure! Meaningful sterling silver wax seal jewelry from antique wax seals.
- description -
A mysterious wax seal charm with square rig ship within a shield, a little mermaid and the French words NON DORMIT QUI CUSTODIT which translates THE SENTINEL SLEEPS NOT ... he’s always on watch! The words are too small to read on the charm.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a ship often symbolizes an ancient sea voyage or some notable expedition by sea by which the first bearer became famous.
The mermaid symbolizes eloquence.
Hand cast from an armorial desk seal that dates back to the 1700 - 1800's
- approximate measurement - 7/8” x 1 1/8" (22mm x 27mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
Impressed with history!