Law and order - In balance with the scales of justice wax seal necklace pendant. A large wax seal, the scales of justice are surrounded by the French words GARDE DES SCEAUX DE FRANCE which translate KEEPER OF THE SEALS OF FRANCE and below the balance scale CHARTE 1830 which translates CHARTER 1830. French law wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the balance scale is symbolic of justice. Justice is balancing the scales of truth and fairness and also symbolizing the measure of a case's support and opposition... law and order.
In France, the Keeper of the Seals title was held by the Minister of Justice, who guarded the Great Seal of France. Throughout the year of 1830 there were 4 different Keepers of the Seals, perhaps due to falling from favor, illness or death.
- approximate measurement - 1" (25mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from an antique, one of a kind 19th century French desk wax seal, that dates back to 1830.
Impressed with history!