Protect yourself and those you love with this portcullis wax seal necklace pendant. On this portcullis is a lion passant, walking, under a banner which reads the Latin motto SORTE SUA CONTENTUS and translates LET HIM BE CONTENT WITH HIS CONDITION or be content and make the best of it.
Protective talisman wax seal jewelry.
A portcullis is a strong and heavy gridded gate, or grating, that is suspended vertically by chains on either side and can be dropped down quickly to control access and defend a castle, fortress, or city.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the portcullis represents protection in an emergency and the lion is symbolic of dauntless courage.
The portcullis is also the symbol for British parliament, an institution of justice and law.
- approximate measurement - 7/8" (21mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with 1937 US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from a Georgian Period (1714 – 1837) carnelian fob wax seal.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
This is the crest for the Hartridge family of Kent and Surry and was the badge of houses of Tudor and Beaufort.
Impressed with history!