An owl wax seal necklace pendant, loaded with symbolism with an owl, a book holding the original owners initials WR, the scales of justice, a sword and a battle axe surmounted by the Latin motto FIDES ET TIME which translates FAITH AND FEAR. Meaningful wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the owl is symbolic of one who is vigilant and quick witted.
Balances have traditionally been a symbol of fairness and justice. They were adopted as a symbol by the Company of Bakers in London and are still used today as a symbol of an unbiased court system.
The open book signifies manifestation and is also considered a symbol of learning.
The sword is the emblem of military honor and should incite the bearer to a just and generous pursuit of honor and virtue in warlike deeds. It is also symbolic of liberty and strength.
The battle axe, or hatchet represents execution of military duty.
- approximate measurement - 7/8” x 1" (22mm x 24mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand crafted from an intricately detailed European wax seal dates back to the 1800's.
Impressed with history!