A tiny little sterling silver crab claw necklace charm ... endlessly interesting beach surfer jewelry.
Crab claws, also called pincers, are very strong and used to hold and crack prey for food or to defend themselves and are symbolic of protection and resiliency.
Crab claw pendants were once popular in the Mediterranean, an ancient tradition that when worn together with other amulets such as blue beads, red ribbons, keys, and crescent moons, they would protect against the Evil Eye ~ the power to inflict malady or misfortune with a glance that certain people are feared to possess.
As a zodiac sign, for those born between June 22 - July 22nd, Cancer, a water sign, is symbolized by a hard shelled crab but soft on the inside.
- approximate measurement - 7/8” (22mm) including top loop x 1/8“ (6mm)
- the crab claw charm is solid, not hollow, 3D and beautifully textured all around
- metal - sterling silver (.925 silver )
- charm only - the sterling silver cable chain is sold separately here, shown oxidized
- photographed with a US dime and inch ruler for scale
I sand cast this tiny little crab claw, I picked up on the rocky shoreline in Newport, RI, and after sand casting and cleaning up I had it lost wax cast in sterling silver ... hand crafted jewelry when how it's made matters.
“My life is like a stroll on the beach... as near to the edge as I can go”
~ Henry David Thoreau