A lovely 14K gold skull wax seal necklace with the Latin sentiment ES FVI SVM ERIS which translates AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” x 1/2" (15mm x 17mm)
- wax seal charm metal - solid 14k yellow gold
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a 14k gold filled rolo chain with a lobster clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Hand cast from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the photo but not available for purchase.
*of historical note - it's written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.