With a nod to days gone by, a little bronze Frozen Charlotte doll necklace pendant. Historic whimsical doll jewelry.
- approximate measurement - 1 1/8" x 3/8” (32mm x 10mm)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- doll metal - bronze
- chain - an oxidized brass rolo chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the frozen charlotte doll charm or necklace at checkout
- the listing is for just one frozen charlotte doll
- note, the loop sizes on Charlotte's heads do vary from time to time
Crafted from an antique porcelain Frozen Charlotte doll that dates back to 1860.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
And take a peek at our new Frozen Charlotte ring.
*The original Frozen Charlotte dolls were one piece, un-jointed (thus frozen), porcelain dolls made during the 19th and early 20th centuries and most were made in Germany.
Their sizes ranged from 1” to 18” and the dolls were in a standing position and naked and children would make clothes for them to wear.
The tiniest dolls were often used in doll houses and some were even hidden as charms in the Christmas puddings.
Some dolls were made by glazing the front but not glazing the back so that they would float on their backs in the tub... bathing babies.
The 1” sized dolls were commonly known as "penny dolls" or “penny babies” because they generally sold for one cent.
The popularity of Frozen Charlotte dolls can be attributed, in part, to the fact that their relatively low price allowed children to accumulate a collection of dolls with which to play.
Impressed with history!
©2012 suegray jewelry