A duet of solitary tiny sterling silver skull wax seal dangle earrings... memento mori! These little sterling silver skull earrings are captivating treasures reminding us that death comes to all living things.
You could leave life right now... let that determine what you do and say and think ~ Aurelius
Hand cast from just a portion of an antique Georgian wheel wax seal (1714 - 1830), shown in the last photograph.
The full size wax seal depicts the skull surrounded by the classical Latin words ES FVI SVM ERIS, written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Now that the letter U has been added to the Latin alphabet it would read
ES FUI SUM ERIS.
Either way, it translates THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE
or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that life is short so make it matter!
- approximate measurement - almost 3/8” (8mm)
- shown with an old US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- ear wires - sterling silver
- little plugs for the ear wires are included so that if you use them you won't lose an earring
Impressed with history!