Well paired long silver skeleton wax seal dangle earrings ... memento mori jewelry
- description -
The interesting full size wax seal depicts an oval in the center which reads, in Latin, SPES MIHI SUMMUM BONUM SCHONDEL with the initials JFA.
A skeleton and a woman holding a bird leaning on a large anchor flank the oval.
An hour glass, a rake and a scythe, a wheat sheaf are engraved under the oval. The engraving at the top could be an infinity symbol.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skeleton is symbolic of mortality.
My best research shows that it once belonged to a widow, the oval center suggests this, along with the facts that she is leaning on a large anchor and there is a skeleton where I presume her husband used to be. It's likely the couple were agricultural farmers.
SPES MIHI SUMMUM BONUM translates I HOPE FOR THE HIGHEST GOOD.
SCHONDEL could be the surname.
Hand cast from just a portion of a large, heavy steel Georgian era (1714 - 1830) desk wax seal.
- approximate wax seal measurement - 7/8" x 1/4" (22mm x 8mm)
- photographed next to an old US dime for reference to size
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- ear wires - sterling silver
- little plugs are included on the ear wires - don't lose an earring!
Impressed with history!