rock weed seaweed earrings, kelp earrings ... those little bits of magic left behind when the tide recedes and reveals its beautiful tideline treasures ... they become endlessly interesting jewelry
found between the tides on rocky shorelines, that seaweed called rock weed or ascophyllum nodosum, in the kelp family, with that little connected pearl-like bubble that's soft and pliable while living and growing on the rocks, in the sea water, becomes hard and dry when it separates and washes up on the shore to dry itself in the sun ... it can hurt your feet!
- approximate measurement - between 7/8" and 1" (22mm) including loop x 1/4” (6mm)
- the seaweed charms are 3D and beautifully textured all around
- the earring are solid silver, not hollow, but still very comfortable to wear
- metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with a US dime and inch ruler for scale
I have sand cast two little pieces of rock weed in sterling silver and then had them lost wax cast in sterling silver ... hand crafted jewelry when how it's made matters.
“My life is like a stroll on the beach... as near to the edge as I can go”
~ Henry David Thoreau