Do you have a secret? Adorn yourself with this UNDER the rose wax seal necklace pendant to remind yourself or others that the words shared are to remain secret.
- description -
A stemmed rose in full bloom above the word UNDER to create the rebus, or hieroglyphic, message UNDER the rose. You may have seen the message in Latin sub-rosa.
- symbolism -
A rose usually symbolizes love and beauty, but in ancient Rome the phrase sub-rosa or under the rose meant to keep a secret. A rose would be placed on the door of a room where secret or confidential matters were discussed... or off the record.
Did you know that painted roses on the ceilings of Roman banquet rooms were to remind guests that things said under the influence of wine (sub-vino) should also remain secret (sub-rosa).
Hand cast from an antique Victorian era (1837 - 1901) glass block intaglio wax seal shown in the photos but not available for purchase.
- approximate measurement - over 5/8” x 5/8" (18mm x 15mm)
- shown with an old US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains and some clever charm hooks and holders are also available.
Impressed with history!