Connecting the past to the present, a special gold skull ring with its own historical story, often called a death's head mourning ring, pumpkin head skull ring, memento mori ring … a modern casting of a 1713 British mourning ring.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skull is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori - remember you must die, the hour will not be known.
Hand crafted from an early 18th century, late Stuart era (1603 - 1714) death's head skull mourning ring. The interior of the ring is blank, ready for you to add a personal inscription if you so choose. Unfortunately, I am not set up to engrave so you’ll need your own jeweler to add the engraving.
- approximate ring band width - 1/8" (3mm)
- half round band at thickest - 1mm
- photographed next to a matchstick for scale
- ring metal - 14k yellow gold
- select US ring size - rings sizes shown in the drop down box are stocked and ready for immediate shipping.
- if your ring size is not listed please select "custom other size pre-order" and include a note specifying your size. this option is not stocked and typically casting takes about 4 - 5 weeks but currently it has taken much, much longer to receive from the casting company. :( Since these rings are custom made to order they cannot be returned or exchanged but your own jeweler should be able to make any adjustments
The original 18th century British death's head mourning ring was a token of remembrance given to selected family and friends at the funeral or burial of G.H. to commemorate his or her life, who left this world on 9 March in 1713, near the end of Queen Anne’s reign over Great Britain and Ireland and the end of the Stuart period (1603 to 1714).
With this ring you’ll receive the details of the original ring, some information about mourning rings, and insight into life in 1713 England. See the photos of the original 1713 mourning ring - photos 11 and 12 - not available for purchase.
Find the sterling silver skull mourning band here.
Find the matching memento mori skull bangle bracelets here.
Impressed with history!
©2020 suegray jewelry