The guardian does not sleep... a one of a kind armorial ship and mermaid wax seal necklace pendant. What a treasure! Meaningful sterling silver wax seal jewelry from antique wax seals.
- description -
A mysterious wax seal charm with square rig ship within a shield, a little mermaid and the Latin motto NON DORMIT QUI CUSTODIT which translates THE GUARDIAN DOES NOT SLEEP. The words are too small to read on the charm.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the ship is symbolic of an ancient sea voyage or some notable expedition by sea by which the first bearer became famous.
In heraldry, the mermaid is symbolic of beauty, grace, eloquence, enchantment and mystery. She represents a safe voyage to those at sea.
- approximate measurement - 7/8” x 1 1/8" (22mm x 27mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
Hand crafted from an armorial desk seal that dates back to the 1700 - 1800's.
After researching the motto I have learned that the original owner may have been one or more of these 9 family names: Cramer, Coghill, Gulliver, Louden, Lothian, Louden, Louthian, McKellip, M'Killop
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!