skeleton wax seal ring - memento mori
A thick skeleton wax seal ring ... memento mori wax seal jewelry
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skeleton is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori, a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate ring band measurement - 1/4" (6mm)
- photographed next to an old 1937 US dime for scale
- wax seal ring metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- the ring is open in the back - I'll make the size adjustment for you
- select US ring sizes 5 - 7
Hand crafted from just a portion of a large Georgian era (1714 - 1830) desk wax seal.
The interesting full size wax seal depicts an oval in the center which reads, in Latin, SPES MIHI SUMMUM BONUM SCHONDEL with the initials JFA.
A skeleton and a woman holding a bird leaning on a large anchor flank the oval.
An hour glass, a rake and a scythe, a wheat sheaf are engraved under the oval. At the top is a ribbon tied into a bow.
Find the full size skeleton and widow wax seal necklace here, as well as other varieties made with the large wax seal.
Impressed with history!