Well paired sterling silver skull earrings, skull studs. Memento mori! These little sterling silver skull earrings are captivating treasures reminding us that death comes to all living things.
You could leave life right now... let that determine what you do and say and think ~ Aurelius
- description -
Small silver post earrings with a solitary skull in the center.
Hand cast from just a portion of an antique Georgian wheel wax seal (1714 - 1830), shown in the last photograph.
The full size wax seal depicts the skull surrounded by the classical Latin words ES FVI SVM ERIS, written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Now that the letter U has been added to the Latin alphabet it would read
ES FUI SUM ERIS.
Either way, it translates THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE
or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that life is short so make it matter!
- approximate wax seal measurement - just over 1/4" (8mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- earring posts and backs/clutch - sterling silver
- select clutch style at checkout - last photo: friction ear nuts (left) or bullet clutch (right)
- please note that this listing is for one pair of earrings
Impressed with history!