An outstanding sterling silver skull wax seal necklace from an antique skull wax seal... ES FUI SUM ERIS - a captivating treasure reminding us that death comes to all living things - memento mori wax seal jewelry
- description -
The shiny skull is surrounded by the Latin words ES FUI SUM ERIS which translate THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull symbolizes mortality and is a reminder that life is short so make now matter.
Hand cast from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the last photo but not available for purchase.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” (15mm x 16mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime, same size as a current dime
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here. And if you'd prefer an oxidized chain (antiqued) to the shiny chain shown, simply make this request at checkout in the "add a note to your order" box.
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.