An outstanding sterling silver skull necklace from an antique skull wax seal... ES FUI SUM ERIS - stunning sterling silver wax seal jewelry. This sterling silver skull wax seal charm is a captivating treasure reminding us that death comes to all living things - memento mori!
- description -
The shiny skull is surrounded by the Latin words ES FUI SUM ERIS which translate THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull symbolizes mortality and is a reminder that life is short so make now matter.
Hand cast from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the last photo.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” (15mm x 16mm)
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed with an old US dime
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.