this is a custom listing for L - payment one of two.
A skull and wings wax seal charm necklace that was inspired by the beautiful old stone carvings on the gravestones in historic cemeteries back in the 1700's.
The skull and wings image has several names: death's head, winged skull, winged death, but all symbolize the fleeting nature of life and impending death or flight of the soul from mortal man and life after death.
- description -
The wings wax seal charm and the skull wax seal charm are connected with one ring and suspended on the chain as one.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the wings symbolize swiftness and protection.
The skull symbolizes mortality. Time flies so make now matter!
The wings wax seal charm was hand cast from a lovely bronze antique armorial wax seal and the tiny skull from just a portion of an antique Georgian wheel wax seal (1714 - 1830).
- approximate measurement - wings 3/4” (19mm), skull 3/8” (10mm)
- photographed with an old US dime for size reference
- wax seal charm metal - 14k gold
- chain - a 14k gold filled rolo chain with a lobster clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charms at checkout.
Impressed with history!