I AM STRONG LION is the message sent by this lion rampant wax seal necklace pendant.
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." ~ Anais Nin
- description -
The lion rampant is surrounded by a Latin legend, in Lombardic script, that reads SUM LEO FORTIS which translates to I AM STRONG
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the lion represents dauntless courage. Lions, as fierce, noble animals were favoured by knights as a sign of nobility.
Hand cast from an early 1300's - 1400's bronze Chessman type wax seal and I've included a photo.
- approximate measurement - 5/8" x 3/4" ( 18mm x 20mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with an old US dime
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
Impressed with history!
*10.3 Seal with legend ‘I am a strong lion’
Bronze, England, 1300–1400
Donated by Mill Stephenson
P&E 1927,2-16,5 (Tonnochy cat. no. 741)
Good Impressions: Image and Authority in Medieval Seals p. 121