Celebrate a dear friend with this interesting wax seal necklace friendship gift with Father Time plucking the wings of Cupid sending the message that friendship is love without wings.
- description -
Father Time with wings is equipped with a scythe, similar to Mignard's (1694) Time Clipping Cupid's Wings, holding Cupid with his bow and arrow and surrounded by the French words L'AMITIÉ EST L'AMOUR SANS AILES which translates FRIENDSHIP IS LOVE WITHOUT WINGS.
- symbolism -
In 1806 Lord Byron wrote a poem "L'amitié est l'amour sans ailes" describing true friendship as love without wings because true friends will not ever fail us, always there in times of need and also to share our happiness.
Hand cast from a Georgian era watch fob wax seal (1714 - 1837) and shown in the photograph but not available for purchase.
- approximate measurement - 3/4” (20mm x 18mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!
Catalog by William Tassie #1504
Knight's Gems and Device Book #20