A pair and a spare of sterling silver skeleton and his widow wax seal dangle earrings, Mr. & Mrs. Schondel ... two skeletons and one widow so depending on your mood you can wear a skeleton and widow earrings or a pair of skeleton earrings ... historical wax seal jewelry!
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skeleton is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori, a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate wax seal measurement - 7/8" x 1/4" (22mm x 8mm)
- photographed next to an old US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- ear wires - sterling silver
- little plugs are included on the ear wires - don't lose an earring!
Hand crafted from just a portion of a large Georgian era (1714 - 1830) desk wax seal.
The interesting full size wax seal depicts an oval in the center which reads, in Latin, SPES MIHI SUMMUM BONUM SCHONDEL with the initials JFA.
A skeleton and a woman holding a bird leaning on a large anchor flank the oval.
An hour glass, a rake and a scythe, a wheat sheaf are engraved under the oval. At the top is a ribbon tied into a bow.
Find the full size skeleton and widow wax seal necklace here, as well as other varieties made with the large wax seal.
Impressed with history!