Do you have a secret? Adorn yourself with this UNDER the rose wax seal necklace pendant to remind yourself or others that the words shared are to remain secret. A stemmed rose in full bloom above the word UNDER to create the rebus, or hieroglyphic, message UNDER the rose. You may have seen the message in Latin sub-rosa. Secret wax seal jewelry.
- symbolism -
A rose usually represents love and beauty, but in ancient Rome the phrase sub-rosa or under the rose meant to keep a secret. A rose would be placed on the door of a room where secret or confidential matters were discussed... or off the record.
Did you know that painted roses on the ceilings of Roman banquet rooms were to remind guests that things said under the influence of wine (sub-vino) should also remain secret (sub-rosa).
- approximate measurement - over 5/8” x 5/8" (18mm x 15mm)
- shown with an old US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - silver (.925 silver)
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout
Impressed with history!