Connecting the past to the present, a very special sterling silver skull ring with its own historical story, often called a death's head mourning ring, pumpkin head skull ring, memento mori ring … a modern casting of a 1713 British mourning band.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skull is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori - remember you must die, the hour will not be known.
Hand crafted from an early 18th century, late Stuart era (1603 - 1714) death's head skull mourning ring. Your ring will have all of the rustic antique wonderfulness of the original ring from which it was cast but will be blank on the inside of the ring. See the original gold band in the last photo.
- approximate ring band width - 1/8" (3mm)
- half round band at thickest - 1mm
- photographed next to a matchstick for scale
- ring metal - solid sterling silver, oxidized to show detail
- select US ring size - if your ring size is not listed please include a note specifying your size
- rings are custom made to order and therefore cannot be returned or exchanged but your own jeweler should be able to make any adjustments
- some sizes are stocked and ready to ship ... see the drop down box for availability
- need a custom size not currently stocked? I can make one for you, up to size 11 1/2.
please include a note with size when you place your order and allow up to a week for the completion of a ring size not currently stocked.
The original 18th century British death's head mourning ring was a token of remembrance given to selected family and friends at the funeral or burial of G.H. to commemorate his or her life, who left this world on 9 March in 1713, near the end of Queen Anne’s reign over Great Britain and Ireland and the end of the Stuart period (1603 to 1714).
With this ring you’ll receive the details of the original ring, some information about mourning rings, and insight into life in 1713 England. The last photo depicts the original 1713 gold mourning band - not available for purchase.
Find the 14k gold mourning ring here.
Find the matching memento mori skull bangle bracelets here.
The antique boxes in the photos are for display and are not included with the ring.
Impressed with history!
©2020 suegray jewelry