Connecting the past to the present, a special gold skull ring with its own historical story, often called a death's head mourning ring, pumpkin head skull ring, memento mori ring … a modern casting of a 1713 British mourning ring.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, a skull is symbolic of mortality.
Memento mori - remember you must die, the hour will not be known.
Hand crafted from an early 18th century, late Stuart era (1603 - 1714) death's head skull mourning ring. The interior of the ring is blank, ready for you to add a personal inscription if you so choose. Unfortunately, I am not set up to engrave so you’ll need your own jeweler to add the engraving.
- approximate ring band width - 1/8" (3.5mm)
- half round band at thickest - 1.3 mm
- photographed next to a matchstick for scale
- ring metal - 14k yellow gold
- select US ring size - if your ring size is not listed please include a note specifying your size
- rings are custom made to order and therefore cannot be returned or exchanged but your own jeweler should be able to make any adjustments
- currently, sizes 5, 6, 7, 8 and 12 are stocked and ready to ship
- please allow 3 - 5 weeks for the completion of other ring sizes
ring payment options -
- in stock rings should be paid in full for immediate shipping but talk to me if you'd like to arrange a payment plan.
- for custom, not in stock sizes, you may place your order and pay for the ring in full
- or it can be divided into two equal payments:
- a non-refundable deposit to get your custom ring started
- and a final payment once your ring is complete.
*With this option you will need to include a note with your ring size and I will contact you when your ring is complete so that you may make the final payment and your ring can be shipped.
The original 18th century British death's head mourning ring was a token of remembrance given to selected family and friends at the funeral or burial of G.H. to commemorate his or her life, who left this world on 9 March in 1713, near the end of Queen Anne’s reign over Great Britain and Ireland and the end of the Stuart period (1603 to 1714).
With this ring you’ll receive the details of the original ring, some information about mourning rings, insight into life in 1713 England, and the first few ring orders will arrive in this small wax sealed wood presentation box, with the 18th century memento mori wax seal in black wax, as shown in the last photo. Unfortunately, I don't have many of these lovely wood boxes.
Find the matching memento mori skull bangle bracelets here.
Impressed with history!
©2020 suegray jewelry