Encircle your finger with a seriously small skull wax seal ring.
You could leave life right now... let that determine what you do and say and think ~ Aurelius
- description -
A tiny statement ring with a solitary skull on a slim round wire sterling silver band
~ memento mori wax seal jewelry.
Hand cast from just a portion of an antique Georgian wheel wax seal (1714 - 1830), shown in the last photograph.
The full size wax seal depicts the skull surrounded by the classical Latin words ES FVI SVM ERIS, written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Now that the letter U has been added to the Latin alphabet it would read
ES FUI SUM ERIS.
Either way, it translates THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE
or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that life is short so make it matter!
- approximate wax seal measurement - just over 1/4" (8mm)
- shown with an old US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver)
- new - select thin (1.2mm) or thick (2mm) band width
- flat wire band - (1.2mm) sterling silver
- flat band - (2mm) sterling silver
- please note that this listing is for one ring.
Impressed with history!