A meaningful gold skull wax seal necklace charm with Latin sentiment OMNIA VANITAS which translate ALL IS VANITY. The word VANITAS is Latin and means emptiness, worthlessness and unreality. It's describing the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of all things.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that death comes to all living things and life is short so make now matter.
- approximate measurement - 3/4" by 5/8" (20mm x 18mm)
- please note the S in VANITAS is very faint and incomplete because it is very thin and not engraved deeply enough on the original glass seal to get a good impression
- shown with a US dime for scale
- wax seal charm metal - sterling silver (.925 silver) with a 14k gold vermeil
- charm only, chain sold separately here
Impressed from a Georgian era (1714 - 1830) multiple glass wax seal set displayed in a lovely red leather case.
Gold vermeil is a technique of plating that was developed by French artisans in the 18th century.
This high quality plating adds a thick layer of gold, in this case 2.5 microns of 14k gold, over .925 sterling silver.
It’s crafted only using precious metals so it is more hypoallergenic.
Care: it should be stored it in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight.
As with all jewelry, remove before bathing or applying perfume as this can cause dullness.
Find the skull wax seal necklace charms shown in the last photos here.
Impressed with history!