Time flies so seize the day with a winged hourglass within a crest shield wax seal necklace pendant ... meaningful and symbolic antique wax seal jewelry.
- description -
An hourglass with wings flies within the shape of an armorial crest shield... the wings of time.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the hourglass depicted with wings is a symbol that human existence is fleeting, and that the "sands of time" will run out for every human life.
The hourglass, or sandglass, has long been a device used to measure time with evidence dating back to the 8th century and in heraldry it symbolizes the flight of time and mortality. Time flies!
Hand cast from an art deco signet ring, which dates to 1924, and is shown in the photo but not available for sale.
- approximate measurement - just over 1/2” (14 x 13mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with an old US dime
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
Impressed with history!