Wind it back in time a bit and add this ornate letter S SAMUEL antique bronze pocket watch key necklace pendant! It makes a fabulous necklace charm, alone or as part of a layered necklace look and can even be added to your own charm necklace.
- description -
This is an advertising watch key, to advertise the watchmaker H.Samuel on 97 Market Street in Manchester, England.
- approximate measurement - 1 1/2" x 1/2” (38mm x 13mm)
- key metal - bronze
- select key with or without extra jump ring
- chain shown - an antique brass satellite chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select necklace length or charm only
- photographed with an old US dime
Impressed with history!
*Personal time pieces were introduced in the 16th century, and were called pocket watches, a watch meant to be carried in the pocket and tethered to a chain, cord, strap, etc. to prevent it from being dropped and for a quick and easy grasp from the pocket.
A watch key, or key wind, was necessary to wind the watch and to set the movements. The sizes of the watch keys varied, and were made to fit the square shaft in the pocket watch to wind the watch, and the styles varied, some were no more than functional and some were fabulously ornate.