A beautifully ornate Victorian hand necklace pendant, the right hand detailed on both sides, has a lovely cuff, a ring on her index finger, and is holding a small orb between her thumb and index finger.
The chain slips through a large bail opening, under the pear, and measures almost 1/4" (9mm x 5mm) so will accommodate most any chain.
- hand measurement - 1 1/4" x 3/8" (31mm x 10mm)
- metal - solid 3D sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed next to an old US dime for scale
- the rolo chain is sold separately here. It's shown oxidized but also available in shiny silver and in a variety of lengths.
- find the sterling silver drawn cable chain shown in photos 8 and 9 here.
The hand is typical of the Victorian era but we haven't been able to positively date it.
The original antique ouroboros was gold and dates back to the 19th century.
We have borrowed these from history and reproduced them in sterling silver to share with you.
- symbolism -
The hand is the tool of tools. It represents strength, power and protection. It's also symbolic of loyalty, strength, romance, generosity, hospitality and stability. Historically, the hand has been and continues to be symbolic of greeting and friendship.
For centuries, the shape of the pear has represented the female form in the art world, and has been symbolic of femininity and fruitfulness.
In many cultures, the pear is a symbol of affection, inner peace, comfort, longevity and the Chinese believe it to be symbolic of immortality.
Impressed with history!
©2019 suegray jewelry