Borrowing from history, a serpent hook or watch chain hook, to suspend from a chain and gather your favorite charms, or to wear as is. Select sterling silver or bronze.
The serpent hook is nicely detailed, with its head curved to create a hook and its long tail, with a bead at the end, cleverly curled to form a loop bail through which to suspend a chain.
Important note - the serpent head is a bit large so charm bails with an inside diameter of 4mm - 5mm or larger will easily slip over the serpent head.
- serpent length - 1 1/4" (33mm)
- serpent width - 1/2" (13mm)
- serpent hook is solid, not hollow, detailed on all sides
- bail loop - 6/32" (4.5mm) - it will accommodate a rather thick chain
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- metal - sterling silver (.925 silver) or bronze
- listing is for one serpent hook
- symbolism -
Snake, or serpent, jewelry was very popular in the 19th century and was symbolic of eternity.
The hook would have hooked over a button, through a buttonhole, or over a belt.
The original 19th century coin silver serpent hook was part of an old watch chain and had a few rough spots and a blunt tail, shown in the last photograph, but was transformed with a little bit of love before being reproduced in sterling silver and bronze.
- the tiny skull wax seal charm is sold separately
Find more charm hooks and holders here.
Impressed with history!
©2019 suegray jewelry