Borrowing from history, a sterling silver serpent hook or watch chain hook, to suspend from a chain and gather your favorite charms, or to wear as is.
The scaly serpent hook is nicely detailed, with its head curved to create a hook and its long tail cleverly curled to form a loop bail through which to suspend a chain.
Important note - the serpent head is a bit large so charm bails with an inside diameter of 4mm - 5mm or larger will easily slip over the serpent head.
- serpent length - 1 1/4" (32mm)
- serpent width - 1/2" (12mm)
- bail loop - 7/32" (4.5mm) - it will accommodate a rather thick chain
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- metal - solid, not hollow, sterling silver (.925 silver), detailed on all sides
- listing is for one serpent hook
- symbolism -
Snake, or serpent, jewelry was very popular in the 19th century and was symbolic of eternity.
The hook would have hooked over a button, through a buttonhole, or over a belt.
The original 19th century serpent hook was part of an old watch chain reproduced in sterling silver.
The dog wax seal charms sold separately here.
The last photo depicts other styles of serpent hooks... find more charm hooks and holders here.
Impressed with history!
©2019 suegray jewelry