Memento mori… a seriously small and simple bronze skull wax seal necklace pendant. This bronze skull charm is a captivating tiny treasure reminding us that death comes to all living things. Did I mention that this little guy is really tiny?
You could leave life right now... let that determine what you do and say and think ~ Aurelius
Hand cast from just a portion of an antique Georgian wheel wax seal (1714 - 1830), shown in the last photograph.
The full size wax seal depicts the skull surrounded by the classical Latin words ES FVI SVM ERIS, written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Now that the letter U has been added to the Latin alphabet it would read
ES FUI SUM ERIS.
Either way, it translates THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE
or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that life is short so make it matter!
- approximate measurement - 3/8” (10mm)
- wax seal charm metal - bronze
- note that the 5th and 6th photos show the tiny skull in sterling silver, same size
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - select an antiqued brass rolo chain with a spring ring clasp or a satellite chain
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here.
Impressed with history!