A beautifully ornate Victorian hand necklace pendant, the figural right hand holding an ouroboros split ring, wonderful just as it is or put it to work holding your wax seal necklace charms as a charm holder.
The hand, detailed on both sides, has lovely cuff detail, a ring on her index finger, and is holding both the ouroboros and a small orb between her thumb and index finger.
The chain slips through a large bail opening, under the pear, and measures almost 1/4" (9mm x 5mm) so will accommodate most any chain.
The ouroboros, snake eating its own tail, is a split ring with a small overlap on the back side (see photo) and the charms slip through this overlap.
- hand measurement - 1 1/4" x 3/8" (31mm x 10mm)
- ouroboros size - 3/4" (18mm)
- total charm measurement - 1 3/4" x 3/4"
- metal - solid 3D sterling silver (.925 silver)
- photographed next to an old US dime for scale
- the necklace chains are sold separately here. Shown oxidized but also available in shiny silver and in a variety of lengths
- the Victorian hand holding an ouroboros necklace charm is available with a 14k gold vermeil here.
The hand is typical of the Victorian era but we haven't been able to positively date it.
The original antique ouroboros was gold and dates back to the 19th century.
We have borrowed these from history and reproduced them in sterling silver to share with you.
- symbolism -
The hand is the tool of tools. It represents strength, power and protection. It's also symbolic of loyalty, strength, romance, generosity, hospitality and stability. Historically, the hand has been and continues to be symbolic of greeting and friendship.
For centuries, the shape of the pear has represented the female form in the art world, and has been symbolic of femininity and fruitfulness.
In many cultures, the pear is a symbol of affection, inner peace, comfort, longevity and the Chinese believe it to be symbolic of immortality.
An ancient symbol, the ouroboros signifies infinity, eternity, and the cycle of life and death.
Impressed with history!
©2019 suegray jewelry