Hold court with this powerful and majestic griffin, or gryphon, wax seal necklace pendant.
- description -
The griffin is a legendary creature with the body of a lion (the king of beasts) and the head and wings of an eagle (the king of birds). It's a very powerful and majestic creature.
The upper body of the griffin is sitting above a crown, within an armorial shield, under a shell... beautiful detail for a wax seal that dates back to the renaissance!
- symbolism -
In heraldry a griffin, or gryphon, symbolizes vigilance, courage, strength and boldness.
Hand cast from a well aged, early 14th century medieval wax seal that was once part of a swivel seal, with a lion on the back side, the wax seal a bit corroded after spending centuries in the ground before being unearthed, as shown in the photos.
- approximate measurement - 3/4" x 5/8” (19mm x 17mm)
- wax seal charm metal - fine silver (.999 pure and recycled silver)
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a sterling silver cable chain with a spring ring clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
More chains, charm catchers and swivel fobs are available here. And if you'd prefer an oxidized chain (antiqued) to the shiny chain shown, simply make this request at checkout in the "add a note to your order" box.
Impressed with history!