An outstanding 14k gold skull wax seal necklace from an antique skull wax seal... ES FVI SVM ERIS - gorgeous gold wax seal jewelry. This gold skull wax seal charm is a captivating treasure reminding us that death comes to all living things - memento mori!
- description -
The shiny skull is surrounded by the classical Latin words ES FVI SVM ERIS, written in the old Latin alphabet style when the shape of the letter V represented both the vowel U and the consonant V.
Now that the letter U has been added to the Latin alphabet it would read ES FUI SUM ERIS.
Either way, it translates THOU ART, I WAS, I AM, THOU WILT BE
or AS YOU ARE NOW SO ONCE WAS I, AS I AM NOW SO MUST YOU BE.
- symbolism -
In heraldry, the skull is a symbol of mortality and a reminder that life is short so make it matter!
Hand cast from a beautiful gemstone wheel wax seal, that dates back to the Georgian era (1714 - 1830) and shown in the last photo.
- approximate measurement - 5/8” (15mm x 17mm)
- wax seal charm metal - solid 14k gold
- photographed with an old US dime for scale
- chain - a 14k gold filled rolo chain with a lobster clasp.
- select the necklace chain length or just the charm at checkout.
- see the lovely wax seal from which it was cast in the last photo, not for sale.
Impressed with history!
Here is the entire epitaph from a tombstone in the Howff Graveyard in Dundee, Scotland:
Remember man as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so must you be,
Remember man that you must die.